Peace, and Music.
It’s been hard to daily practice., even 30 mins a day. I’ve only done it 2 times this week (log is below.). I better change this, QUICK or it will be 30 years before I play my first song. I follow David Allens’ get stuff done (GSD) and better take this seriously and fit it in. Mornings are my best learning time so I’m ashamed of my week so far:
- Tuesday – nope, was too busy prepping for work.
- Wednesday – 30 mins
- Thursday – couldn’t do it, it is trash-day took up too much time
- Friday – busy morning (work) couldn’t do it
- Saturday – Travel back from funeral, couldn’t do it (yet)
I talked to my sis (HI SIS) and we think that good time-management is key for musicians. One doesn’t need a lot of time to learn, something like 30 mins twice a way would be ideal.
FORMULA: 1 hr/day x 4 years = 1 hour of gig playable music.
This is REALLY GOING TO BE KEY. It’s real math, so I better just review my time-management skills or I am never going to Get Stuff Done!
Tips I can share already;
- Set up your music area, I hate to refer to a my tiny square of rug in the dirty garage a ”studio’, make the area work better. I was spending too much valuable early-morning practice time trying to find a light to see with, adjusting the table, plugging in wires etc. I can always do that at other times of day, when for me the morning is the best LEARNING time, and the time should be used purely for music, not messing with notebooks/ lights/ finding pens and other minutia. New plan: Do those things the day BEFORE! I’ve spent a little time (30 min) setting up some boxes (to use as a ‘table’ for my paper notes) with pen and a good light, a stool as a chair and the guitar, pre-amp & amp all plugged in waiting for practice.
- Bring a bottle of water for sipping, and take your bio-break FIRST. For me, having to pee in the middle of learning session ruins my mind set and then I can’t focus when I get back into it ,or worse, I wait-to-go but the pressure is adverse to good learning.
- Mental prep. It helps if I spend just a few mins (with coffee) going over on paper (computer really.) what I’m going to practice but only if I can do that WITHOUT getting sucked into internet, which was hard on Friday this week. I don’t have a solution for this one – any ideas? Should I print out my notes instead, and not even open my ‘puter?